Sunday 13 January 2013

2013 style crush...Laura Bailey

A bit of a late happy new year to you all (though given how infrequently I seem to be blogging these days, that happy new year could well be echoing around an empty room!).

One of my new year's resolutions has been to try and spend some more time on my blog. It's been a bit neglected over 2012 (I've found myself prioritising my daughter and day job!!). But, I'm going to try and make time each week to give Edna some much needed love and attention.

I seem to start most years with a new style crush...though probably not new, just someone who's been elevated to the top of the style pile. Last year was Solange Knowles, this year it's Laura Bailey.


Photo taken from Vogue's 'Today I'm Wearing' blog

Every time I see her in magazines or online, I find myself trying to imagine how I can combine some of my clothes to create similar outfits.

Her style can be quite classic - monochrome at times, a classic trench coat with lots of her outfits, simple, understated handbags...and a love affair with Chanel, the height of chic.


Photo: Getty Images





Photo taken from Vogue's 'Today I'm Wearing' blog

But then she adds in quirky detailing, so that it doesn't look dull. She clashes prints and colours, she wears ankle socks, towering wedges, statement sunglasses, a headscarf...often with bright lips.




Photo taken from Vogue's 'Today I'm Wearing' blog


Photo taken from Vogue's 'Today I'm Wearing' blog

Sometimes the styling can be so simple, such as with her campaign for the range of handbags she designed for Radley, that I think I'd need a bit extra to make it work (a gorgeous face and lovely blonde hair can make most things look great!).








Photos from Radley campaign

But I still love the simplicity - a grey sweater with a classic leather clutch, which I'd probably pair with a really bright lipstick. A simple tan satchel which would look great with animal print platforms.


Photo taken from Vogue's 'Today I'm Wearing' blog

She combines simplicity with eccentricity - a brilliant mix. Quality accessories and classic pieces that will last forever, with fun detailing. And I love this style. I think it's a mix that works really well the older we get - you don't want to start the slow march to M&S Classics, but at the same time looking like you've just gone insane in Topshop isn't a good look either.

So in 2013 I'm going to attempt to channel a bit of Laura Bailey in my outfits choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...